20040408

This just in...


Credit for image: http://www.loc.gov/rr/main/olympics/images.html

Seeing the Big Picture
The prominent element that attracted me to this image was a man in the air with their arms spread out. This element draws me because I would like to know why the man is in that position and what is he trying to do. I see the board in the background so I'm assuming he is a swim diver and that is why they're in that position. I would say the focal point of the image is the man in the air, because there isn't alot of things going on in the image. All there is, is a man with his arms spread out and a diving board. There is also alot of spatiality in the image. I was drawn to the man first, because of what he is doing, the white background around him, and the space around him.

Observing the Characteristics of an Image
There only objects/figures in the picture are a diving board and a man. There is something in the bottom-right corner, but there's very little of it to make out what it is. The story of the image seems to about a man who just jumped off the board and is in a diving position of some sort and falling down. The background in the image is the sky and since there is only the sky, it is impossible to the place of the picture. There is alot of spatiality in the picture and it appears that the image was taken from the ground looking up. There isn't any color because the picture is in black and white.

Interpreting the Meaning of an Image
I get a feeling of excitement and fear when looking at this image. I feel excited because I wonder how cool it would be to be in that position and just fall, which is where the feeling of fear sets in. I fear that I won't hit the pool of water or the target that I'm supposed to hit and just hit concrete. The picture creates a mood of amazement or freedom, as there is only a man with his arms spread out and falling down. This creates amazement/freedom by having space created around the man and having nothing else in the picture except for the diving board, but that can be easily ignored.

Until then...
-Freedom!

No comments: